EMPOWERING GOVT TEACHERS THROUGH TRAININGS , WORKSHOPS & MONITORING - Ongoing Project
Our overall objective is to have a good primary education system which has several components
1. There should be very good Teaching-learning and all round development activities going on with the children
2. The teachers should be empowered and enjoying the process
3. The community should be involved
4. The local Govt. should be involved
1. Carry out experiments with content, methods, teachers' empowerment and community involvement in our three primary schools.
2. Improve the "total quality" of 150-200 Government and private/ NGO Run primary schools in North 24 Parganas and other districts.
3. Quality improvement of all the 60 Sishu Siksha Kendra (SSK- Govt primary schools established in those villages where conventional primary schools are not present) of Deganga Block under North 24 Parganas.
North 24 Parganas, West Bengal
Funding Duration: April 2014 to March 2015
Total Budget: Rs.1,042,440
Funding Requested: Rs.964,290
Contribution by Organisation: Rs. 78,150
Indicators: what do we mean by quality?
The Teaching Learning Process
1. Teaching learning aids (specially work cards and sheets ) are being used extensively in the classrooms.
2. Beside the text books, many other reading materials are being used.
3. Joyful learning environment; Learning local History and Geography.
4. Art-craft, singing, dancing, recitation, drama, yoga & physical exercise sessions are integrated in school routine
5. There is an active library
6. Children are being taken for outdoor learning activities.
7. There is a lot of group work and child to child learning
8. There are children managed cultural events called "sahitya sabha" ; also special days are being celebrated with cultural performance.
9. There are active children's committees looking after cleanliness, library, games, cultural events etc
10. Evaluation systems are very different from one time memory based exams.
Children are able to
1. Read with comprehension from a daily newspaper in Class IV
2. Write on their own
3. Make maps, chart & posters
4. Play with colours, origami etc
5. Learn many educational games.
6. Hand held experiments on science and geography
7. Express themselves verbally
8. Collect information from various sources
9. Frame and ask questions
10. Give expression to their special talents
11. Work with others cooperatively
Parents show initiative in
1. Attending meetings
2. Participating in teaching aids making workshops
3. Coming to school regularly to observe and keep track
4. Helping out with special day celebrations
1. Visit the homes of problem children and dropouts.
2. Are involved in peer evaluation process through cross visit
3. Teaching learning materials making based on the needs of his students.
4. Regular lesson plan making
5. Participate in self empowerment trainings
6. Regularly participate in events at the cluster resource centres ( not active yet)
1. Education sub committees ( shiksha upo samityy) have regular meetings
2. Non panchayat persons who are motivated to contribute have been co- opted into these sub committees
3. Panchayat makes specific budgetary allotment for education, preferably through this subcommittee.
1. 70% of targeted teachers will be using TLM and other pedagogic tools and methods taught.
2. 50 % of children of Class IV can read with comprehension from a daily newspaper and also write on their own.
3. 50% of Parents will show initiatives in meeting & TLM workshop.
4. 2 Gram Panchayat will actively participate in planning and implementing quality improvement measures for their primary schools.
5. To make a model Blocks (consisting 9 Gram Pancayats - 30 villages)there will be empowered teachers, innovative works in schools and active participation of panchayats, CBOs and other people's representatives.
I certify that the information in this proposal is true and complete to the best of my knowledge.
I also certify that the organization and I will abide by the terms and conditions of the
grant/fund as established by granter/funder. I further certify that all received funds/grants
will be used exclusively for the purpose stated in this proposal unless I normally request and
receive prior authorization from funder for any changes. Further, I understand that if the
funding is granted for the project described above it will be for an initial period of ONE year
and can be extended, if necessary, by renewing the proposal. Also, regular status reports on the
project will be provided by the organization to funder for the duration of the
Aug. 31, 2013
80G Number: DIT(E)/114/8E/171/90-91
35AC Number: N.A.
FCRA Number: 147110269
Number of paid staff: 65
Annual Budget: Rs.8,900,000
Key Foundation Funders for last 3 years: Share & Care foundation,USA VIBHA,USA AID BAY AREA,USA GLRA- GF Round 9 TB Project,
Search and experiment with alternatives in some specific development subjects. If successful, try to spread the models as widely as possible through various means.
|State||District||Number of Villages|
|WEST BENGAL||NORTH 24 PARGANAS, NADIA||110|
|State||City||Number of Slums|