TO DEVELOP A NEED BASED AND CONTEXTUAL CURRICULUM FOR RURAL HIGH SCHOOLS - Ongoing Project
To assist a visible number of govt rural secondary schools to become high quality institutions for imparting holistic education. Guide them to gradually move towards a need-based , much more diversified curriculum catering to all kinds of children; and to see that these schools play an active role in enriching rural life in many ways. In a way this is an attempt to interpret Gandhi's & Tagore's ideas in today's context.
Village High schools students will study their local social and physical environment; do hands on activities to learn various subjects. They will develop skills for collecting, recording, organizing, understanding and communicating information; and also learn some vocational skills. Socially useful productive work would be integrated into various subjects and essential activities related to local Government ( Panchayats) planning would get done in the process.
North 24 Parganas, West Bengal
Funding Duration: April 2014 to March 2015
Total Budget: Rs.1,378,249
Funding Requested: Rs.686,049
Contribution by Other Organisation: Rs. 692,200
A. Running own adolescent youth groups in 6 villages. This is for doing intensive work ; for experimentation with new ideas before introducing them in schools ; and as models to be shown to visitors
B. Working with about 62 schools to develop them as models (i) To continue with the activities already started and see that at least 15 schools adopt all of them (ii) To start some new activities in keeping with our goal of producing a relevant diversified curriculum (iii) To develop further the subject wise teachers networks.
C. Training others as per demand in the subjects in which Swanirvar has specialized. This would be NGOs and other schools outside our project area.
D. Bring about school - gram panchayat synergy so that school survey-analysis work is part of panchayat based micro planning
E. Advocacy to push towards our goal by forming network of like minded teachers , dialogue with teacher unions , elected representatives , writing in the media , influencing the DIETs, and joining all India networks working on similar lines.
1. At least 15 schools to become A grade (one resource room in each school, news board, wall magazine, temp-rainfall measuring instruments, dustbin in each room, school garden. children committee, compost pit , lively school assembly, running library , disciplinary committee, music group, school information display)
2. There will be at least 40 innovative - active teachers (will make and use T.aids ; use other good classroom practices like group work ; will do practical activities ; will go beyond the text books even when teaching their own subject ; will get involved in various extra curricular activities apart from teaching own "subject" to improve overall school quality ; will be able to give training to others )
3. Marked improvement in understanding key Maths concepts and performance ( list of common difficulties overcome ) in at least 10 schools
4. Marked improvement in English in 10 schools
5. The outline of an alternate basic rural curriculum for classes VI-VIII ready along with evaluation systems.
6. At least one panchayat and local schools working together where the necessary surveys and data analysis for micro planning being done as part of school curriculum.
I certify that the information in this proposal is true and complete to the best of my knowledge.
I also certify that the organization and I will abide by the terms and conditions of the
grant/fund as established by granter/funder. I further certify that all received funds/grants
will be used exclusively for the purpose stated in this proposal unless I normally request and
receive prior authorization from funder for any changes. Further, I understand that if the
funding is granted for the project described above it will be for an initial period of ONE year
and can be extended, if necessary, by renewing the proposal. Also, regular status reports on the
project will be provided by the organization to funder for the duration of the
Aug. 31, 2013
80G Number: DIT(E)/114/8E/171/90-91
35AC Number: N.A.
FCRA Number: 147110269
Number of paid staff: 65
Annual Budget: Rs.8,900,000
Key Foundation Funders for last 3 years: Share & Care foundation,USA VIBHA,USA AID BAY AREA,USA GLRA- GF Round 9 TB Project,
Search and experiment with alternatives in some specific development subjects. If successful, try to spread the models as widely as possible through various means.
|State||District||Number of Villages|
|WEST BENGAL||NORTH 24 PARGANAS, NADIA||110|
|State||City||Number of Slums|